Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dominic's Growth Spurt

So apparently I am now the carrier of a 1 pound, foot long baby! Crazy to think of when just a few weeks ago the doctor estimated Dominic's weight at around 10 ounces. Talk about a growth spurt! Exactly four months from today is my due date. I'm getting all sorts of nervous and excited. I can't wait to see him for the first time. I wonder how big he will be and what he will look like. I picture him with lots of dark hair and the cutest big lips.  Although I'm sure he'll be about 10 times cuter than anything I could possibly envision. Just 4 more months!

I knew as soon as I found out I was pregnant that I wanted to nurse Dominic, as opposed to formula feed. The question is, how long should I nurse for and how do I ween him on to regular formula or food when I'm done? According to the research I've done, all the nutritional benefits from nursing are derived during the first 3 months. Aside from that the only other reasons I can think of for nursing are the bonding opportunities with the baby, and the financial benefits of not having to buy formula. I definitely don't want to be one of those mamas who breastfeeds their child until they are 2 years old. In my opinion, if they are old enough to ask for it, it's too old and quite frankly a bit odd. But whatever works for someone else is their business. I'm thinking 6 months would be a reasonable time frame. Guess we'll just see how that plan works out once he gets here...

"The difference between your child's ability to thrive or just survive is you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment